SocialVentures seeks a paid intern to help support the mission of advancing remarkably good businesses – businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model.
This position includes collecting and managing social impact information gathered from local social enterprises, including updating impact profiles of the 100+ social enterprises listed in the online Marketplace. The intern will be a vital part of the planning and execution of our annual event meant to educate the public on the social enterprise ecosystem, as well as helping to develop a corporate buying program for social impact boxes. This is an exciting opportunity to interact directly with dozens of social enterprises to document and publicize their progress and impact in the Central Ohio region.
The intern will be responsible for gathering data on the impact of the multitude of players in the social enterprise ecosystem of Central Ohio, as well as the measurement and impact of SocialVentures. The successful candidate will compile and analyze data, and be a vital voice for the correct way(s) to share this information to public, such as video, report, etc. They will also collect and update profile data for the social enterprises listed in the online Marketplace; this includes identifying, researching, and contacting new social enterprises, and maintaining their information in an online data storage platform.
The intern will also help to plan and execute Positioned to Prosper, the largest celebration in the central Ohio social enterprise ecosystem. This includes determining a proper way to hold the event, developing a theme based on data gathered, and helping with organizing all details. Additionally, the intern will be vital in the development and launch of the Corporate Buying program aimed to encourage buying from all social enterprises. This position reports to the Chief Operations Officer.
The intern will be expected to:
- Contact identified social entrepreneurs to request impact information and update Marketplace profiles on our website;
- Research, compile, and analyze social impact data from 100+ organizations, including supporters and donors to the ecosystem;
- Maintain all impact data on internal storage platform, including analyzing and interpreting data points as needed;
- Aid in the development of stories and text for our annual reporting of The State of Social Enterprise in Central Ohio (traditionally a print report), including helping to determine the ideal way to disseminate information;
- Assist in identifying and researching new social enterprises in Central Ohio.
- Support the planning and organization for Positioned to Prosper, including recruiting and managing volunteers if needed;
- Contribute to the organization, execution, and measurement of the 2021-2022 Strategic Plan;
- Develop and assist in launching the Corporate Buying program, which is aimed at increasing purchasing from local social enterprises through a B2B buying guide, social impact boxes, and bulk box ordering. This could include inventory management, coordination of marketing materials, development of sales contracts, and product fulfillment; and
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, bi-monthly board meetings, and other external events as needed.
This part-time position will require 20 hours per week starting in May 2021, and ending in August 2021. The start and end dates can be flexible based on the candidate’s availability. Additional hours are available if candidate is interested and available, and extension into the school year is possible if both parties agree. Compensation will be $15 per hour and will be paid bi-weekly. The selected individual will need to provide his/her own laptop computer and have reliable internet access. All deliverables will be the property of SocialVentures.
The Ideal Candidate
SocialVentures is looking for an individual who is energized to be part of a small non-profit organization and who finds it exciting to support the integration of social impact with start-up entrepreneurship. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is curious and adaptable with a high level of business, quantitative, and communicative literacy, and who will contribute a unique perspective to the organization.
Qualifications and experience:
- A strong understanding of business principles, particularly with non-profit and start-up entities, though completion of specific business coursework is not required;
- A passion for mission driven businesses and the social impact they have on our community;
- Collaborative, team-oriented skills are a must; flexibility and adaptability are preferred;
- Strong networking skills to identify new social enterprises, ability connect with and understand social entrepreneurs, and persistence to make meaningful connections;
- Excellent communication skills, specifically in writing, themes, and data explanation;
- Ability to think creatively about how execute upon strategic goals using the local community as a backdrop, including measurement of objectives;
- Experience with different media mediums and formats, including graphic design, layouts, and adobe suite skills is a plus;
- Experience with planning events in a digital environment is welcome, but not required; and
- A sense of humor, always.
SocialVentures is an equal opportunity employer for all contractor and employee positions. We will not discriminate against any person or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
SocialVentures (formerly The Center for Social Enterprise Development) is a 501(c)(3) organization formed in 2014 to advance remarkably good businesses—businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model.
Our VISION: a community where positive social impact is integrated into every
business in a sustainable way.
Our MISION: we advance the social enterprise ecosystem by empowering businesses
to amplify their social mission while expanding growth and creating lasting change.
SocialVentures divides its current work in support of social enterprises into three priorities:
- Connection to Customers: Establish an environment that fosters sales growth for social enterprises.
- Advance the Ecosystem: Increase awareness of the social enterprise ecosystem.
- Improve the Core Business: Establish connections between social enterprises to larger relevant networks and resources
More information about SocialVentures and its work is available at our website: http://www.socialventurescbus.com/.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com on or before March 12, 2021. Applicants will be contacted the week of March 15, 2021.