SocialVentures is seeking a Director of Sales and Consumer Insights to support the mission of advancing remarkable businesses—businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model.
This position includes managing the sales of all programs and workshops as well as leading all efforts to increase the earned revenues of SocialVentures, including conducting market research with potential customers to drive changes in product design and developing new product offerings. This position will report directly to the President/CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
The areas you will be responsible for, along with a non-exclusive list of underlying duties are:
- Program Sales
- Oversee the sales of all SocialVentures programs and workshops
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Communications in development of sales materials
- Working with the President, sell sponsorships to SocialVentures’ events (currently Positioned to Prosper and Nonprofit Sustainability Showcase)
- Regularly meet directly with local social enterprises to determine the programs, services, and products they would purchase, so that SocialVentures can create a robust and profitable set of product and service offerings
- Establish consistent and regular follow up with SocialVentures’ customers to ensure our products and services continue to meet their needs
- Program and Product Development
- Identify and implement ways to monetize services which SocialVentures currently offers without charge, such as the Marketplace, B2B Guide, Showcase, Positioned to Prosper, and State of Social Enterprise report
- Responsible for ongoing market research to identify products and services which have the potential to become profitable programs of SocialVentures
- Identify and propose the appropriate legal structure for any proposed business line that will provide new products and services that SocialVentures decides to offer (e.g., partnership, co-ownership, subsidiary, internal program, etc.)
- Lead the final design of new products and services offered by SocialVentures
- Impact Validation Business
- Be the SocialVentures lead in the Impact Validation pilot, working with the project manager to complete the current survey research of pilot participants’ customers and the general public
- Conduct additional market research to identify potential customers (foundations, company purchasing programs, social enterprises, investors, for example) and determine the product features they require, their desire to purchase, and the estimated amount they would be willing to pay
- Lead negotiations on the business relationship SocialVentures will have with the Better Business Bureau of Central Ohio and Measurement Resources Company for products and services related to social impact measurement, validation, and certification that research determines have sufficient market demand to be profitable for SocialVentures.
- Lead product design for the products and services which are determined to be profitable
- Social Enterprise B2B Buying Guide
- Identify and utilize effective distribution channels to put the Guide in the hands of purchasing decision-makers in local businesses
- Use the Guide to promote the Impact Validation Business
- Identify services which businesses would like to buy from SocialVentures that would enhance the benefits they perceive from the social impact created by their purchases of social enterprises’ products and services
- Explore and, if the market potential exists, sell and manage on-site social enterprise marketplace days to host companies and to participating social enterprises
Terms of Employment
This is a full-time position; the selected individual will be a salaried employee of SocialVentures. Compensation will commensurate with experience, and a commission/bonus structure is open to discussion as products are developed. The selected individual will need to provide his/her own laptop computer, cell phone, internet access and transportation. All work will take place in Columbus, Ohio, and the surrounding 11-county area. All deliverables will be the property of SocialVentures.
The Ideal Candidate
SocialVentures is looking for an individual with demonstrated success in selling new products and services, who is energized to be part of a young organization, and who finds it exciting to support the integration of social impact with start-up and early stage entrepreneurship. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can work independently, is curious and adaptable, and has a high level of business and quantitative literacy. It is important that the candidate be able and willing to contribute a unique perspective to the organization. Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to close deals are essential.
Qualifications and experience:
- Demonstrated ability to form relationships with potential customers that result in significant recurring sales;
- A strong understanding of business and sales principles, though completion of specific business coursework is not required;
- Collaborative, team-oriented skills, as well as high energy and an outgoing and friendly demeanor;
- Strong ability to connect with social entrepreneurs and collaborate with local partners;
- Experience with networking events in the start-up space, whether from an attendance or planning perspective, especially in Central Ohio;
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, WordPress, MailChimp, Eventbrite, and SalesForce is preferred;
- Able to maintain a pipeline in an established CRM system;
- Desirable: Subject matter expert in social enterprise, impact reporting, and validation.
SocialVentures (formerly The Center for Social Enterprise Development) is a 501(c)(3) organization formed in 2014 to advance remarkably good businesses—businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model. SocialVentures supports these nonprofit and for-profit businesses so that the entrepreneurs, consumers, and beneficiaries of their mission-driven endeavors are all better positioned to prosper. From our workshops and accelerator initiatives to our community engagement efforts, SocialVentures advocates for, develops, and funds businesses that solve social problems in our community.
SocialVentures divides its current work in support of social enterprises into three components:
- Build the Movement: Outreach and advocacy to advance the acceptance and formation of social enterprises.
- Business Acceleration: Training and support services for social enterprises.
- Access to Capital: Improving access to capital for new and growing social enterprises.
More information about SocialVentures and its work is available at http://www.socialventurescbus.com/.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; looking to fill the role immediately.