SocialVentures seeks a paid intern to help support the mission of advancing remarkably good businesses—businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model. This position includes collecting and managing social impact information and other data for the 2018 State of Social Enterprise Report and for the social impact profiles of the 100+ social enterprises listed in its online Marketplace. This is an exciting opportunity to interact directly with dozens of social enterprises to document and publicize their progress and impact in the Central Ohio region.
The successful candidate will be responsible for collecting, compiling, and reporting data on the impact of SocialVentures and of the multitude of players in the social enterprise ecosystem of Central Ohio. The intern will compile data for the 2018 State of Social Enterprise in Central Ohio report and collect and update profile data for the social enterprises listed in the Marketplace, including identifying and researching new social enterprises. The intern will work closely with the Vice President and Director of Marketing.
The intern will be expected to:
1. Assist with updating existing Marketplace profiles for area social enterprises;
2. Deliver informational cards to area businesses as requested;
3. Research and compile data for the 2018 State of Social Enterprise in Central Ohio report;
4. Work with SV staff and partners on the social impact validation project with the Better Business Bureau and Measurement Resources Company, including training social enterprises on impact measures and maintaining a database of results; and
5. Assist in identifying new social enterprises in Central Ohio.
This part-time position will require 20 hours per week starting in May 2018, and ending in August 2018. The start and end dates can be flexible based on the candidate’s availability. Full-time hours are available if candidate is interested and available. Compensation will be $13 per hour and will be paid bi-weekly. The selected individual will need to provide his/her own laptop computer, internet access and have access to transportation. All work will take place in Columbus, Ohio, and the surrounding 11-county area. All deliverables will be the property of SocialVentures.
The Ideal Candidate
SocialVentures is looking for an individual who is energized to be part of a young organization and who finds it exciting to support the integration of social impact with start-up entrepreneurship. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is curious and adaptable with a high level of business, quantitative, and communicative literacy, and who will contribute a unique perspective to the organization.
Qualifications and experience:
- A strong understanding of business principles, particularly with non-profit and start-up entities, though completion of specific business coursework is not required;
- The ability to describe business impacts and to understand the needs of social entrepreneurs;
- Collaborative, team-oriented skills;
- Strong networking skills to identify new social enterprises, connect with social entrepreneurs, and collaborate with local business experts;
- Facility with WordPress, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, GoogleDocs, Facebook, and Twitter;
- Ability to manage a website is welcome but not required; and
- This position is open to undergraduate and graduate students.
SocialVentures is an equal opportunity employer for all contractor and employee positions. We will not discriminate against any person or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
SocialVentures (formerly The Center for Social Enterprise Development) is a 501(c)(3) organization formed in 2014 to advance remarkably good businesses—businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model. SocialVentures supports these nonprofit and for-profit businesses so that the entrepreneurs, consumers, and beneficiaries of their mission-driven endeavors are all better positioned to prosper. From our workshops and accelerator initiatives to our community engagement efforts, SocialVentures advocates for, develops, and funds businesses that solve social problems in our community.
SocialVentures divides its current work in support of social enterprises into three components:
1. Outreach and advocacy to advance the acceptance and formation of social enterprises.
2. Training and support services for social enterprises.
3. Improving access to capital for new and growing social enterprises.
More information about SocialVentures and its work is available at http://socialventurescbus.com/
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 16, 2018. Applicants will be contacted the week of March 20, 2018.