Summer 2020 Internship
SocialVentures seeks a paid intern to help support the mission of advancing remarkably good businesses – businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model.
This position includes collecting and managing social impact information for the 2020 State of Social Enterprise Reportand for the social impact profiles of the 100+ social enterprises listed in its online Marketplace. It will also be vital in the planning and execution of our annual event, and helping to launch an Intern Fellowship program to support students and social entrepreneurs. This is an exciting opportunity to interact directly with dozens of social enterprises to document and publicize their progress and impact in the Central Ohio region.
The intern will be responsible for gathering data on the impact of the multitude of players in the social enterprise ecosystem of Central Ohio, as well as the impact of SocialVentures. The successful candidate will compile and analyze data for the 2020 State of Social Enterprise in Central Ohio report based on this year’s theme. They will also collect and update profile data for the social enterprises listed in the online Marketplace; this includes identifying, researching, and contacting new social enterprises.
The intern will also help to plan and execute Positioned to Prosper, the largest gathering in the central Ohio social enterprise ecosystem. This includes working with Marketing Director to determine decorations relevant to the theme and managing all volunteers. The intern must be present at the event (August 4, 2020), including set-up and breakdown. Additionally, the intern will be vital in the development and launch of the Intern Fellowship Program taking place in Fall 2020. This position reports to the Chief Operations Officer.
The intern will be expected to:
- Contact identified social entrepreneurs to request impact information and update online Marketplace profiles;
- Research, compile, and analyze social impact data from 100+ organizations, including supporters and donors to the ecosystem;
- Aid in the development of stories and text for the 2020 State of Social Enterprise in Central Ohioreport, including heavy proof-reading, spacing, fact checking, graphics, and wordsmithing;
- Assist in identifying and researching new social enterprises in Central Ohio.
- Support the planning, organization, set-up, and break-down for Positioned to Prosper, including recruiting and managing volunteers;
- Develop and assist in launching the Intern Fellowship program which connects students to social entrepreneurs, including marketing, creating programing, and working with partners to secure host sites; and
- Work with SV staff and partners on the growth and development of Impact Assurance, our social impact validation business, including market research, impact measurement and reporting, and marketing materials.
This part-time position will require 20 hours per week starting in May 2020, and ending in August 2020. The start and end dates can be flexible based on the candidate’s availability. Additional hours are available if candidate is interested and available, and extension into the school year is possible if both parties agree. Compensation will be $13 per hour and will be paid bi-weekly. The selected individual will need to provide his/her own laptop computer, internet access and have access to transportation. All work will take place in Columbus, Ohio, and the surrounding 11-county area; this is not a remote work opportunity. All deliverables will be the property of SocialVentures.
The Ideal Candidate
SocialVentures is looking for an individual who is energized to be part of a young organization and who finds it exciting to support the integration of social impact with start-up entrepreneurship. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is curious and adaptable with a high level of business, quantitative, and communicative literacy, and who will contribute a unique perspective to the organization.
Qualifications and experience:
- A strong understanding of business principles, particularly with non-profit and start-up entities, though completion of specific business coursework is not required;
- The ability to describe business impacts and to understand the needs of social entrepreneurs;
- Collaborative, team-oriented skills;
- Strong networking skills to identify new social enterprises, connect with social entrepreneurs, and collaborate with local business experts;
- Excellent communication skills, specifically in writing, themes, and data explanation;
- Experience with planning events and thinking creatively about large gatherings;
- Facility with WordPress, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, GoogleDocs, Facebook, and Twitter;
- Ability to manage a website is welcome but not required; and
- This position is open to undergraduate and graduate students.
SocialVentures is an equal opportunity employer for all contractor and employee positions. We will not discriminate against any person or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
SocialVentures (formerly The Center for Social Enterprise Development) is a 501(c)(3) organization formed in 2014 to advance remarkably good businesses—businesses that intentionally integrate social impact as a non-negotiable component of their business model. SocialVentures supports these nonprofit and for-profit businesses so that the entrepreneurs, consumers, and beneficiaries of their mission-driven endeavors are all better positioned to prosper. From our workshops and accelerator initiatives to our community engagement efforts, SocialVentures advocates for, develops, and funds businesses that solve social problems in our community.
SocialVentures divides its current work in support of social enterprises into three components:
- Build the Movement: Outreach and advocacy to advance the acceptance and formation of social enterprises.
- Business Acceleration: Training and support services for social enterprises.
- Access to Capital: Improving access to capital for new and growing social enterprises.
More information about SocialVentures and its work is available at http://www.socialventurescbus.com/.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com or before March 5, 2020. Applicants will be contacted the week of March 9, 2020.